For Immediate Release: 6-23-2022
For more information contact:
Water conservation necessary in Storm Lake, Lakeside, Lake Creek, Casino Beach and Truesdale
Residents of Storm Lake, Lakeside, Lake Creek, Casino Beach and Truesdale are being urged to use water conservation measures:
- Lawns, gardens and commercial properties should not be watered between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. When watering, please use a nozzle that will control flow to avoid wasting water.
- Anyone who needs to use power washers on buildings or concrete is asked to contact the City of Storm Lake at 732-8000 so a lower demand time can be scheduled.
- Vehicle washing should not take place during the high-demand daytime hours. If car washing is necessary, it’s a good idea to do it on a lawn to make best use of the water instead of allowing it to run to the storm sewer.
- Water uses such as washing down driveways and refilling pools should be avoided if possible, and if necessary, do these things outside the 8 a.m.-8 p.m. window.
- Golf course fairways can be watered from 2-6 a.m. An exception for watering the golf course greens as needed is allowed.
Under recent hot and dry conditions, demand on the Storm Lake water treatment system has been high. Normal use is approximately 3.5 million gallons per day, but in recent days that use has spiked to 5 million gallons – the maximum capacity for the treatment plant. Avoiding any unnecessary water use during the higher-demand daytime hours will allow wells and water towers to recharge, and help the treatment plant keep up with the demand.
City officials would prefer to moderate the demand on a voluntary basis, but if water use continues to spike, mandatory water restriction measures will need to be put in place. The public’s cooperation is using our water resources wisely is appreciated.
Being Storm Lake Proud is not one day, one week, one month or one event. Being Storm Lake Proud is a magnificent lifestyle! More information about the City of Storm Lake can be found on the city’s website at www.stormlake.org.