The Storm Lake Public Library has been serving the community since 1906. There are 43,000 materials in the collection. All youth books, large print books and DVDs are the most popular items borrowed. The foreign language materials are authentic and purchased from Germany, Spain, Colombia, and Mexico. Each year, babies, children, teens, and adults attend 100 programs which are supported by the Friends of the Storm Lake Public Library. Annually through a state program, 10,000 electronic materials are downloaded and enjoyed. Internet is available 24/7 and may be accessed outside of the building as far as the front lawn parking spaces.
The Storm Lake Public Library features:
• A vast collection of books and periodicals, including Spanish language titles.
• Large selection of DVD movies and resources, eBooks and audio materials.
• Expansive children's department with child-size book bins and computer station, family reading
furnishings and play areas.
• Teen department with a media screen, video and board games, and relaxed furnishings.
• Comfortable area to browse newspapers and magazines.
• Meeting room with large media screen, electronic meeting capability and electronic resources.
• A public computer lab with free access to several monitors and printing, no reservations needed.
• A free electronics charging station.
• Free wireless hotspot access 24 hours, inside and outside the library.
• Copier, scanner and fax services.
• Access to brainfuse-brand live homework help and career assistance resources.
• Service Navigators Program
• Digital archives of historical documents and local newspapers dating from the 1800s to 2020s.
• Friends of the Library store with gently-used books and materials available at bargain prices.
• Puzzles and a puzzle construction table.
• Plenty of chances to meet new friends - such as a Community Book Club, Mystery Book Club, and
Knit One Read Too textiles club.
• Children's programs including Storytime, Summer and Winter Reading Programs, Robotics events
• Don’t see what you need? Our interlibrary loan program will locate it for you.
COMING SOON! – HARMONY GARDEN – A new collection of outdoor musical instruments, with plans for unique landscaping, accessible seating, game tables, outdoor classroom space and more on the library grounds.
The Friends of the Storm Lake Library is a volunteer group that has been working to support the library’s mission since 1998. The Friends have raised funds to purchase comfortable new furnishings for the entire library, and help provide the child and adult programs that make the library a wonderful place.
To join Friends of the Library, ask for a Friends application card at the Library front desk. Family memberships start at $15, single memberships at $10, and student/senior memberships at $5.
If you would like to serve on the Friends board, contact the library director at 712-732-8026.
The Friends of the Library also operates a gently used book shop, located in the front hall of the library building. The Friends gladly accept book, audiobook, DVD and magazine donations which are sold at very affordable prices – starting at 25 cents – to fund the library additions.
One happy book buyer was able to complete his James Herriot set. One found a rare Thomas Merton theology book. One found a recipe in a battered cook book that had a lost family favorite from long ago.
Read about the five primary roles of the Public Library Board, access agendas and minutes, and more.