A building permit is required in Storm Lake for the following common projects:
- New buildings, dwellings
- Additions & Alterations- egress windows, remodeling with structural changes
- Demolition of all or part of a structure
- Moving structure
- Wood decks and porches (repairs and replacements)
- Garages and carports
- Interior remodeling involving drywall, moving and/or building of walls, altering windows and/or doors
- Driveways, sidewalks,patios
- Repair from fire or natural damages
A ROW permit is required when working in the city ROW, streets, alleys, parking or sidewalks.
Your project must be submitted in graphic form along with a complete application.
Electrical and Plumbing Permits
The following are some of the items that require an electrical, or plumbing permit:
- Changing, relocating, altering the electrical service entrance
- Rewiring house or commercial building
- Adding a new bath, changing locations of plumbing fixtures
- Gas piping
This list is not all inclusive. If you have any questions about whether your project requires a permit, please call the Building Department at 712-732-8002 between the hours of 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. Monday thru Friday or contact us by email.
How to apply for a building permit
Building Permit applications are available at
City Hall 620 Erie Street , or on our Building Permit Applications page.
Annually, the city holds a meeting to update contractors on adopted buidling codes, permitting requirements, scheduling inspections, stormwater information and more.
- 2021 International Building Code
- 2021 International Mechanical Code
- 2021 Uniform Plumbing Code
- 2012 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2021 International Fire Code
- 2020 National Electric Code
- 2021 International Residential Building Code Version OptionsBuilding PermitsHeadline How to apply for a building permit. How to apply for a building permit onlinrHow to apply for a building permit