The Zoning Ordinance is the mechanism for implementing the goals and policies of the comprehensive plan. It assigns compatible land uses to defined districts throughout the community as well as controls the placement, height, bulk, and coverage of buildings and other structures.
The Zoning Ordinance is comprised of the document as well as the zoning map.
The purpose of the Zoning Ordinance for the City of Storm Lake includes to:
- Serve the public health, safety, and general welfare of the city and its jurisdiction
- Classify property in a manner that reflects its suitability for specific uses
- Provide for sound, attractive development within the city and its jurisdiction
- Encourage compatibility of adjacent land uses
- Protect environmental, historical, and cultural assets
- Further the objectives of the Comprehensive Plan of the City of Storm Lake
The Zoning Map depicts the boundaries for the different zoning districts within the City. The Zoning Map may also include overlay districts which contain supplemental regulations that should be followed in addition to the base zoning regulations.
The Storm Lake Zoning Ordinance and Zoning Map were approved by the Storm Lake City Council on April 7, 2014.