Starting a Business | Who to Contact

City Hall Building


                                                                                                                                                                                                BUILDING PERMITS

Building permits are available Monday through Friday at City Hall: 620 Erie Street, Storm Lake, IA 50588.  For more information, please contact the Building Department at (712) 732-8002 or by email to


The City of Storm Lake does NOT require business licenses; however, there are a number of key issues for new businesses starting-up in Storm Lake. 


If selling and serving food for general consumption, a health permit is required and is issued by Buena Vista County Environmental Health Department. You may contact them by calling 712-749-2555. 

If serving alcoholic beverages, obtain a permit through the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division.  You may also contact the Deputy City Clerk by calling 712-732-8000 or by email to 

Retailers that make taxable sales in Iowa will be required to hold a sales or use tax permit.  Please visit the Iowa Department of Revenue website for more information.  

Construction contractors need to be registered with the State of Iowa.  Visit Iowa Workforce Development for contractor registration. 


Resources for the entrepreneur and small business owner from funding to business planning information, navigating regulations, site locations assistance and more may be found by using the IA Sourcelink Resource Navigator.  IA Sourcelink is the go-to resource for aspiring entrepreneurs and business owners who need help starting, scaling or accelerating their business in Iowa. 

Iowa-Economic-Development-Logo-Offset-Lrg-3IEDA | BUSINESS LICENSE INFORMATION CENTER

Iowa does not have a "general business license." Licensing and other compliance requirements are based on the nature of a business or professional occupation.  For more information please visit the IEDA's Business License Information Center

Construction Worker Framing House