The Eulenspiegel Puppets, Iowa’s only professional puppet theatre and one of the state’s longest-running performing arts shows, will join the fun with two different history-themed shows and a puppet-making workshop during Kids’ Fest. Come meet puppeteer Stephanie Vallez and make plans to sit in for a unique retelling of a Hans Christian Anderson classic, plus a bonus show based on Iowa’s own young lifesaving heroine, Kate Shelley. The show is sponsored by ISG Engineering.
A king-sized new arrival is the Mobile Museum from the State Historical Museums of Iowa. This 300-square-foot exhibit housed in an air-conditioned coach focuses on Iowa’s people and places, with stories of Iowa’s past and nearly 60 artifacts specially collected from the museum collection. Explore 13,000 years of Iowa’s history in an exclusive video narrated by WOI-TV’s Jackie Schmillen, and see if you can spot a Storm Lake artifact in the exhibit.
Another new Kids’ Fest feature is the just-arrived Storm Lake Fire Department Kids’ Fire House. Children will learn fire safety and escape planning as they tour through this educational unit, assisted by volunteers from the SLFD. The fire house is making its Storm Lake debut at Kids’ Fest, and fire trucks will be on hand for visitors to check out up close, too.
Kids’ Fest is co-sponsored by the City of Storm Lake and King’s Pointe Waterpark Resort as a special way of giving back to the community. Admission and all the entertainment is free! This will be the second year for the Storm Lake Kid’s Fest. Last year’s event drew an estimated crowd of well over 1,000 visitors.
After you take in all the Kids’ Fest fun, head on over to the King’s Pointe waterparks with their thrilling slides, relaxing Lazy Rivers and children’s play forts. The waterparks will offer free admission all day for kids under 12, and $5 for those age 12 through adults! Hours will be 9 a.m.-9 p.m. indoors, and 11 a.m.-7 p.m. outdoors.
What else does Kids’ Fest have planned? Plenty!
The foam pit party will be back as a highlight of the event. Kids, bring your swimsuit and get ready to party with mountains of bubbles blasted from the foam cannon. Duck King Fun will also be bringing a full-array of additional good-times stuff – a dunk tank, little tykes dino lake, Slip ‘n Slide, pony hop racing, basketball challenge and clown toss. For the creative types, don’t miss the spin art experience.
One of Storm Lake’s favorite performers, balloon artist Professor Von Air, will be making his unique creations for the young visitors.
City government and its partners will be providing all kinds of fun and educational stations around the Great Lawn oval. Look for:
- The memorial fountain will be turned into a duck pond for the day, with candy prizes.
- The city council will be on hand with give-aways and a fishing game.
- The public library will be doing a make-it-and-take-it seed planting workshop. Kids can plant their own flowers or veggies.
- Witter Gallery will offer colorful face painting.
- Storm Lake Police will be on hand with the Yum-Vee filled with cool treats.
- Bolton & Menk Engineering will set up a mini water plant.
- Storm Lake water quality will share an environmental learning opportunity.
- Conditions permitting, special guests have been invited to share music and dance from Storm Lake’s various cultures.
- Public Services departments will have a snow plow, vacuum truck and other plus-size working vehicles on hand for children to check out.
- Community Education will bring out the athlete in youngsters with a new four-square volleyball game and a football throw event.
- King’s Pointe will offer coloring and temporary tattoo stations.
- The city finance department will invite kids to a new math challenge. Test your wits to win a special coupon.
- Buena Vista County Public Health is joining the fun with a camera craft-making activity and ring toss.
- Storm Lake United will have chalk art along the LakeTrail.
- Come out early – costumed mascots will welcome kids at noon and pose for photos from 12-12:30.
If your stomach is growling after all that fun, Kids’ Fest has some affordable food options too. Kings’ Pointe will offer a food tent with pizza, soft drinks and cotton candy. The Snack Shack will have its full menu available with some special additions like watermelon and mango on a stick, and new smash burgers.
The day offers even more Storm Lake enjoyment. The Municipal Band will be offering a special concert at 3 p.m. in Sunset Park – their Christmas in July show.
*In case of inclement weather, the Eulenspiegel Puppet Show will move indoors to King’s Pointe resort. Rain or shine, the show will go on, and everyone is invited. King’s Pointe waterparks will be subject to their capacity limits.